I planted five very short rows of mixed Mesclun greens. Tonight I was able to harvest my first salad!
We had a huge bowl!
Mixed with some store-bought tomatoes, cuke and red onion for a very simple, yet very fresh and tasty salad!
If you have a small area to plant some fresh greens...I highly recommend trying the mixed Mesclun greens. For the small cost ($1.00) of a couple of seed packets, you can harvest so much. I will be picking lettuce for quite a while before the leaves get bitter and start to go to flower.
This first salad was amazing! I hope you can try fresh Mesclun leaves from your own garden someday. It's a satisfying thing to be able to go out in your own yard and pick a salad.
*my cherry tomatoes will be a perfect addition to the salad in about a month, I hope!!
What is Mesclun, you ask?
Mesclun (French pronunciation: [mɛsˈklɛ̃]) is a salad mix of assorted small, young salad leaves which originated in Provence, France. The traditional mix includes chervil, arugula, leafy lettuces and endive in equal proportions, but in modern iterations may include an undetermined mix of fresh and available lettuces, spinach, arugula (rocket, or roquette), Swiss chard (God's Breath), mustard greens (Dijon's Child), endive, dandelion, frisée, mizuna, mâche (Lamb's Lettuce), radicchio (Italian Spinach), sorrel, and/or other leafy vegetables.
No comments:
Post a Comment