When I was a young wife, I made the attempt at roasting a turkey. I bought a HUGE bird, unwrapped it and put it in the oven...but there was something weird about this bird...no giblets. Where in the world were the giblets?
Well, after it was done cooking, I was carving it and what do you know? I found the plastic wrapped organs in the neck cavity and the neck all cooked in the body cavity....oops.
Even though I had attended culinary art classes in high school, I still needed to gain experience...I just didn't know enough when I got married. I knew some, but I was still making many mistakes!
Nowadays, I feel much more confident in the kitchen. I know how to time each part of a meal to be put on the table at the same time and be served hot! I have a repertoire of meals that I can make very easily and I am always happy to try new recipes. Keeping my recipe file filled with new ideas is a good way to stay out of that rut.
A couple of nights ago we had a pork roast for dinner. I rubbed it with salt, pepper and garlic and this time, instead of using dried rosemary, I used some fresh rosemary from a plant I just bought this week at the grocery store. It made all the difference! However, the family didn't want to eat very much of it...they were all looking forward to the pork pie the next day and wanted to make sure I had enough leftover meat to make a nice BIG pie!! I guess I should fore go the roast and just skip right to the pie!
My latest endeavor is to try to make some homemade pasta! I am looking into getting a pasta attachment for my stand mixer. I hear that fresh pasta is something that dried pasta can't compare with. I will keep you updated on that.
Here's to keeping things exciting in the kitchen and yummy at the table!
No comments:
Post a Comment