Friday, February 19, 2010

Barbecued Chicken in the crockpot and Oven Roasted Root Vegetables

I love to roast root vegetables. Tonight I cut up white potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions into the same size chunks. I put them in a gallon bag and added about 1/4cup vegetable oil. Then just seal the bag and coat them thoroughly. Put them into the bottom of the broiler pan that has been sprayed with oil. Season with garlic powder, onion powder and sea salt. (or any other seasonings you might like...some like a bit of spice...you could use chili powder, for instance)
Roast in a 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes or until soft. Turn up heat to 375 degrees in the end for 15 or so minutes to crisp up a bit. You can also add softer vegetables in the last 30 minutes, too. (zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, peppers, apples, etc....)


AND, I tried a new recipe today! I had bought chicken thighs, which I don't usually buy....and put them in the crockpot. I drizzled them with barbecue sauce and cooked them on low for 6 hours. Afterwards, I put them on a greased baking sheet in the oven with the root vegetables for about 10 minutes to crisp up the skins...Oh so good!! Ordinary chicken thighs turned into extra-ordinary yummy-ness! The whole family ooh-ed and aah-ed over the way the meat fell off the bones! (I know I used WAY too many exclamation points, but I just couldn't help it! This meal was delectable!!)





I'm hoping to post some scrumptious desserts soon...

No comments: