Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Comfort Food

My nephew has brought to my attention the fact that I haven't posted any new recipes here in a very LONG time!!  I have made many new things, but haven't had time to log on and post....thankfully,  I have had the camera available for some of the things I've been cooking.  So, here is something to start with:

Rice Pudding

1/2 cup of uncooked regular rice
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 T. cornstarch
dash of salt
2 eggs, separated (reserving both yolk and whites)
2 1/2 cups milk
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup sugar

Mix rice and water in saucepan.  Heat to boiling, stirring once or twice.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer 14 minutes without removing cover.  All water should be absorbed.  (or skip this step by using leftover rice...about one cup cooked)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. 
Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch and salt. 
Beat egg yolks slightly.
Beat egg yolks and milk into sugar mixture with wire whisk.
Stir in rice, lemon juice and raisins.
Pour into ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
Place casserole in square pan, 9x9x2inches deep, on oven rack; pour very hot tap water 1 inch deep into pan casserole is sitting in.
Bake, stirring occasionally, until pudding is creamy and most of the liquid is absorbed....about 1 1/2 hours. 
Remove casserole from oven but not from pan of hot water.

Increase oven temp to 400 degrees.
Beat reserved egg whites on medium speed until foamy.
Beat in 1/4 cup of sugar on high speed, 1 Tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy.  Do not underbeat.
Spread over pudding.
Bake until meringue is golden brown, 8-10 minutes. 
Serve warm.
6-8 servings.

1 comment:

Susan Elizabeth said...

Has anyone else noticed that I have posted 16 desserts in my cookbook!?! That's a lot of desserts!

Enjoy!