Saturday, June 19, 2010

Grilled bread or pizza

A couple of years ago, I discovered that I can actually grill pizza dough! I make my pizza dough recipe and divide it into two balls. I make a tray with all the fixings I'll need, dough included, and then go out to a preheated grill. Just flatten each ball into an oblong shape and brush on olive oil before placing it, oil side down, directly on the grill. Brush the top side with more olive oil and flip over with a spatula. Add whatever pizza toppings you want, turn the heat to low, close cover and grill until it is cooked. (keep an eye on the underside, you might have to move it away from the direct flame...you don't want it to get too crispy!) The cheese will melt, the toppings will sizzle, and it will be THE best pizza you ever had! Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Here are a couple of pictures of our grilled cheese bread from last night's dinner:



p.s. you can replace the olive oil with melted butter and the cheese with cinnamon sugar to make a dessert bread. Serve it with an easy frosting glaze for dipping. Oh ya!

2 comments:

Paula said...

I still haven't braved the "grilled pizza" - but maybe I will get my nerve up this summer. Cheer me on! Haha!

Susan Elizabeth said...

You go, Girl!! You can do it! It's very easy..just watch the flame...no problem! (and don't forget to oil it on both sides!)

Have fun!