Monday, June 14, 2010

Feeling Amateur-ish

Last week, we watched "Julie and Julia". After watching, I decided that I am truly an amateur cook. I don't know how to make puff pastry, or bone a fish or duck, or even chop onions in a professional manner! I was humbled and felt like my doing this blog is pretty silly. I don't do anything special in the way that I cook. I use basic ingredients, in a run of the mill kitchen, with boring tools and a 10th grade culinary art background. Big deal! (is it at all impressive that I know what a "roux" is and have used it many, many times? Not really.)

I have some experience in stretching leftovers and making them appear yummy...but what's that? I can bake yeast bread, but when I perused Julia Child's (volume two) cookbook and found her French bread recipe, I was so overwhelmed!! She converted her oven to simulate a baker's oven. (lining it with tile and using a heated brick to create steam during baking!!) I am going to attempt this next time I bake my french bread.

I guess I just need to try new things and gain some more confidence. I would love to try my hand at "Filet de Boeuf en Croute" [Tenderloin of Beef in Pastry-Beef Wellington Brioche'] Sounds way out of my league...but according to Julia C., we American women can cook French!! (with her help!!)

So, again, I must apologize for neglecting my cooking blog...I just haven't felt inspired. I hope you continue to check back, as I am determined to add some new and interesting posts!

Bon Appetit!

7 comments:

Paula said...

I thought of you when I saw Julie and Julia - can you imagine the stamina and determination to work your way thru Julia Child's cookbook? I'm not that hip on creating such culinary masterpieces that are gobbled down in 15-20 minutes tops in our house. Simple, tasty, healthy and preferable quick. That's the recipe I mostly live by. But I DO enjoy culinary masterpieces OTHERS take the time to make :) Keep up the blog, I learn something new every time I read it.

Susan Elizabeth said...

Paula, you are such an encouragement to me in so many ways! Thanks for commenting.

I agree with you...it would take some kind of super-human determination to go through the whole set of recipes...(I'm not sure just how many volumes she has!) and in just one year's time!! AMAZING! (not to mention the cost of the ingredients!)
Julie definitely deserved the book offers, etc!

I did thoroughly enjoy the movie. It made me laugh out loud a bunch of times!

AND, if you really want me to continue, I will make the effort to keep it going...thanks again for the encouragement, Pea.

Rachel Beth said...

Oh please do continue!!! You may not be impressed with your own inspiration, but you sure do help inspire this young bride!

Susan Elizabeth said...

Wow! I'm glad to hear you are "inspired", Rachel! I'll do my best!

Paula said...

I agree with Rachel, I am inspired as well - I love making new and creative dinners for my family. Tonight was not so new, but great: "chicken" scampi (a shrimp scampi recipe)with rice, and three bean salad and a green salad. Loved by all. :)
I got the shrimp recipe from Karen and it's now a family fav, except I've replaced the shrimp w/chicken. The clam fritters looked so good! Too bad I can't eat them...maybe I could substitute crab. Keep on blogging - your fan base is solid!

Paul Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Elizabeth said...

I bet you could substitute crab...you can also change these fritters to dessert...just add diced apple or banana, etc...