Saturday, May 8, 2010

Zucchini Garden Chowder

Summer is coming and I'm sure there are those who plant gardens out there. If you are like me, you'll probably have extra zucchini and won't know what to do with it. Here is a very yummy recipe that my family loves.

(Melody made the batch pictured...she did a great job!)

Zucchini Garden Chowder

2 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth (sometimes I use bouillon cubes dissolved in hot water)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 12 oz can evaporated milk (no substitutes)
1 10 oz package of frozen corn
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a large soup pan over medium heat, saute' the zucchini, onion, parsley and basil in butter until the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle flour over and add salt and pepper. Cook for one minute. Slowly add chicken broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, milk and corn; bring back to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Just before serving, stir in cheeses until melted.
Serves 8-10

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I MADE THIS! I MADE THIS!

Paula said...

Wow, this looks decadent! Can't wait to try it (Nathan's favorite dish: zucchini quiche, and he loves my corn chowder - so I'm thinking this recipe is a "win-win" all around!)

The Boisverts said...

this looks amazing! i forgot about your cooking blog...printing this recipe out asap!

Aaron said...

I made this for dinner today, with a few minor alterations based on what ingredients I had on hand (I did NOT substitute for the evaporated milk). I gave some to my landlady (quite a good cook herself) and she thought it could 'win an award.' :) Thanks for the recipe!